• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

"foiled by pirating software"

It's all a lie by the MPAA to force more "protection" on us. We all know that it's at least another 9 years before it gets broken. ;)

i find it quite amusing that apparently fair use = piracy, and piracy = more cost for the consumer. in reality, its the copy protection on the disks that directly causes the price increase. because of all the licensing for the "unbreakable":disagree: :D copy protections.

Just so I understand the OP's link this means that they are making it where if the firmware upgrade isn't in play nor the original disc it just won't play? What about home movies burned from a Video Camera then?

Just so I understand the OP's link this means that they are making it where if the firmware upgrade isn't in play nor the original disc it just won't play? What about home movies burned from a Video Camera then?

What it means is that normal consumers will need a firmware update. Webslinger's link was an article that referred to a DVD Town news story. Since the DVD Town site is slow as molasses I will quote it below. Refer down to the bolded paragraphs.

Here is a link to the original DVD Town news story: http://www.dvdtown.com/news/new-blu-ray-copy-protection-cracked/5445.

New Blu-ray copy protection cracked

What's New
By Henning Molbaek
FIRST ONLINE Apr 14, 2008

Blu-ray (and the late HD DVD) uses Advanced Access Content System (AACS) to copy protect their content.

The system has a feature that allows for renewal of the encryption keys should they have been compromised. The organization behind AACS recently decided that such an update should be issued which brings it to version AACS MKBv7.

However, the bad news for the AACS organization and the movie studios is that the new version has been cracked only days after the first Blu-ray disc compatible with the new version shipped. Slysoft, a software company that also cracked BD+, already has an update ready for their AnyDVD software that removes the protection.

Now, there is bad news for the lawful and non-pirate consumer as well. The first Blu-ray releases to ship with the new protection is "Alien vs. Predator 2: Requiem" and "Alvin and the Chipmunks" and in many cases they will require player firmware upgrades in order to play and now with the protection already cracked - for no reason.

So, once again, it is sad to see the honest consumer punished for no reason in the fight against piracy and we can only encourage the studio to re-think their strategy. Should you be one of the unlucky people that cannot play the new discs be sure to upgrade your player to the latest firmware and try again. It could be the AACS playing tricks on you.

Last edited:
My Samsung BD-P1400 played both without incident, so if DVDTown are suggesting they won't work without an update they're wrong.

Last edited:
Thanks DlAd that clears it up. You need it if you don't have the back yet to watch this title. This will be on going and sony most likely will never have a standard leaving their customers with old outdated equipment well this could happen.

More good reasons Not to buy a stand-alone (STB) Blu-Ray player!

Back