• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

re-ripping DVDs not working

nor22

I've copied several DVDs to my computer using AnyDVD. I've also made backups of these DVDs using Nero 6 (which I later upgraded to the latest version). I simply set Nero Burning Rom to DVD-Video mode and copied everything from the VIDEO_TS folder to the correct folder in Nero (also VIDEO_TS). In most cases, I burned the discs to Memorex DVD+R DL discs. When played back, they seemed to work fine.

Now when I try to re-rip from these burned discs it won't work. AnyDVD performs the following steps:
1) processing
2) Repairing defective DVD structure...
3) a box appears with the message "CloneMap 2"
4) after picking 'OK', the rip is Aborted!

These discs seem to play fine when inserted into my DVD drive and played with VLC.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Is there something wrong with earlier rips from AnyDVD?
Are these memorex DVD+R DL discs are becoming defective over time?
Is the DVD-Video burning feature in Nero creating a defective DVD structure? Do I need to set the file system to something other than ISO?
Is anyone having better luck with CloneDVD? If so, does it work well with DVD+R DL discs?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you just burn an .ISO file to a DVD - that might be your whole problem. A real DVD folder contains .IFO .BUP and .VOB files and no .ISO files. If you use the free utility DVDShrink with AnyDVD running, you can rip, create and edit "proper" DVD folders that you can easily burn using your Nero Express feature.

-W

If you just burn an .ISO file to a DVD - that might be your whole problem. A real DVD folder contains .IFO .BUP and .VOB files and no .ISO files. If you use the free utility DVDShrink with AnyDVD running, you can rip, create and edit "proper" DVD folders that you can easily burn using your Nero Express feature.

-W

No, I think you misread my message. I select everything from the VIDEO_TS folder to be part of the DVD-Video compilation. This includes the BUP, IFO, VOB files. When you create the DVD-Compilation in Nero, the default file structure is ISO. This is what I was referring to. I'm not creating an image of the disc and copying the image to a DVD-ROM disc. I am burning a DVD-Video disc using an ISO file structure instead of a UDF file structure and was wondering if this is the correct method.

BTW, why bother using DVDShrink, when AnyDVD is perfectly capable of ripping DVDs?

In most cases, I burned the discs to Memorex DVD+R DL discs. When played back, they seemed to work fine.

Now when I try to re-rip from these burned discs it won't work.

What do you expect? You're using junk blank media. Use Verbatim +R DL made in Singapore or MAM-A 8x +R DL only.

By the way use original dvds to create backups. You're just introducing the possibility of trying to backup bad burns (and other variables).

Are these memorex DVD+R DL discs are becoming defective over time?

That would be my first inclination.

Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your disc is bad--even if it plays fine (or your optical drive could be slowly dying).

Is the DVD-Video burning feature in Nero creating a defective DVD structure?

Possibly. If you're using +R DL just use Nero's Discopy feature

These discs seem to play fine when inserted into my DVD drive and played with VLC

meaningless

Is anyone having better luck with CloneDVD? If so, does it work well with DVD+R DL discs?

I use Clonecd: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=327

Last edited:
how do you know if the Verbatim +R DL are made in Singapore? Newegg sells http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817131163, but they don't list the country where they are manufactured.

I'm currently running Nero's ScanDisc (at 2x) and so far, no errors with the Memorex disc. I wish I knew they were junk before purchasing. I bought a couple of 15 packs (still unopened) from Office Depot when they were on sale. I also have a couple unopened 25 packs of DVD+R DL discs that are branded Office Depot. I wonder who the actual manufacturer is. I think I still have the receipts, so I can probably return them.

Thanks for your help!

how do you know if the Verbatim +R DL are made in Singapore?

The packaging indicates where the discs are made on the 20 disc (MKM 001) spindles right below the UPC symbol.

Newegg sells http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817131163, but they don't list the country where they are manufactured.

Well you can't tell online, but you can tell in person. I don't live in the U.S., nor have I ever bought anything from Newegg, so I don't know if their Verbatim +R DLs are made in Singapore (by Mitsubishi Chemical/Verbatim) or India (by Moser Baer).

I'm currently running Nero's ScanDisc (at 2x) and so far, no errors with the Memorex disc.

There's no reason to push the read speed that low. If the disc can't be read except at 2x, then the disc is borderline bad.

I wonder who the actual manufacturer is.

Ritek probably

If you don't know how to obtain media codes, you may find the following programs useful:

* http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com
* http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

Nero cd-dvd speed should also give you that information.

Last edited:

In answer to your questions, yes, Clonedvd does work perfectly fine with +R DL blank media.

However, I prefer using Clonecd.

Memorex blanks are rebranded Ritek.

nor22, the best online price I have found for Verbatim Double Layer blanks is at Meritline. They sell the ones made in Singapore. If you buy a 50 or 60 piece bundle the cost comes out to $1.80 each.

nor22, the best online price I have found for Verbatim Double Layer blanks is at Meritline. They sell the ones made in Singapore. If you buy a 50 or 60 piece bundle the cost comes out to $1.80 each.

Well... if you look at the link in my post, you will see that you only have to buy a 10 pack from Newegg to get the cost down to $1.80 each. Anyhooo, it's good to know there is a source for the ones manufactured in Singapore. Thanks.

I've noticed that if I just copy the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD+R disc to my hard drive, some of the movies play just fine. So it looks like the actual disc is probably ok, but maybe the DVD-Video structure from Nero wasn't quite right...? On the others, it probably was bad discs.

I purchased some 8x Verbatim DVD+R DLs from Newegg. The packaging says Made in Singapore. Hopefully these will work.

I've also made backups of these DVDs using Nero 6

I burned the discs to Memorex DVD+R DL discs.

You're using Nero, and also using DL discs.

Use "New," "DVD," "Copy DVD" with AnyDVD running in the background to create your copies.

This gives you as close a copy to the original as possible. Doing it the way you are doing loses:

- Layer break
- Original file and volume dates and times
- Mastering info
- "Short" disc ID
- Anything not in VIDEO_TS (DVD-ROM content)

I would also consider upgrading to the latest version of Nero, version 8.3.2.1.

And finally, switch to using Verbatim DVD+R DL discs for dual layer. Memorex is rebranded Ritek and is notorious for having quality issues (skipping during playback, especially around the layer break).

Not all are. Some are also Ricoh (Japan) D00 (and a long time ago someone also told me theirs coded out as Philips something or other)

But I'm sure we both would prefer not to play the "guess who made my crap Memorex" game . . . :D

Last edited:
You're using Nero, and also using DL discs.

Use "New," "DVD," "Copy DVD" with AnyDVD running in the background to create your copies.

This gives you as close a copy to the original as possible. Doing it the way you are doing loses:

- Layer break
- Original file and volume dates and times
- Mastering info
- "Short" disc ID
- Anything not in VIDEO_TS (DVD-ROM content)

I would also consider upgrading to the latest version of Nero, version 8.3.2.1.

And finally, switch to using Verbatim DVD+R DL discs for dual layer. Memorex is rebranded Ritek and is notorious for having quality issues (skipping during playback, especially around the layer break).

Thanks for the tips. I have Nero 8.2.8.0, so I'll be sure to upgrade to the latest version. It's odd that they don't automatically tell you when upgrades are available, like Slysoft does with their programs. I also purchased some of the Verbatim discs that are made in Singapore. I followed your instructions for copying a DVD-Video and it worked great.

Thanks

Back