• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Playback from Shared HD Drive possible?

AndyBMC

I installed an LG dual format drive on my server PC and it works with AnyDVD HD well for playback and ripping. I would like to share this drive over network, so that I can play back movies on my HTPC in the living room by connecting to this optical drive on the server. I tried sharing it over network, but it didn't work for some reason. Another DVD optical drive on the same server is easily shared. AnyDVD HD is running and removes the encription.

Am I missing smth why this drive cannot be shared over the network?

Thanks!

I have an LG dual format drive that is shared and works fine in that form (allowing remote ripping).

Where did you encounter the problem? Were you able to enable sharing but did not see it on the network or were you unable to make it shared at all?

Did you have media in the drive when you shared it for the first time? That may help.

I installed an LG dual format drive on my server PC and it works with AnyDVD HD well for playback and ripping. I would like to share this drive over network, so that I can play back movies on my HTPC in the living room by connecting to this optical drive on the server. I tried sharing it over network, but it didn't work for some reason. Another DVD optical drive on the same server is easily shared. AnyDVD HD is running and removes the encription.

Am I missing smth why this drive cannot be shared over the network?

Thanks!
It works. You must use a player which allows playback from folders (PowerDVD 3319a for example). You probably must create a drive letter for the network share.

Sharing HD DVD Drive

Where did you encounter the problem? Were you able to enable sharing but did not see it on the network or were you unable to make it shared at all?

Did you have media in the drive when you shared it for the first time? That may help.

I tried with both HD DVD and Blue Ray disks when sharing the folder. It becomes visible over the network on other PCs, but I cannot access it and get a message "\\Serve\HD_Drive is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator or this server to find out if you have access permissions. The parameter is incorrect." So the problem seems to be that sharing doesn't work with the HD disks inserted.

The funny thing is, that when I insert a standard DVD into this HD Drive - it is accessible even without making any changes to sharing (just by inserting a DVD instead of HD DVD).

I tried both with and without AnyDVD HD running, but the problem is the same - Sharing for HD DVD or Blue Ray disks is not working.

I am glad to know that it works for others. I also found another thread here
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=13001
with a similar problem. The only thing is that that person got it resolved without knowing what really caused or solved the problem... :- (

I think it is an interesting problem and it may not be directly linked to AnyDVD HD, but it also means that AnyDVD HD is not helping to solve the problem. That kind of means for me that the problem is at stack layer somewhere before AnyDVD intercepts it...?

Any other test suggestions/recommendations? Appreciate any advice!

I tried with both HD DVD and Blue Ray disks when sharing the folder. It becomes visible over the network on other PCs, but I cannot access it and get a message "\\Serve\HD_Drive is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator or this server to find out if you have access permissions. The parameter is incorrect." So the problem seems to be that sharing doesn't work with the HD disks inserted.

You missed, that you must create a drive letter for the network share. Use this drive letter to "play from folder".

I should have mentioned that I was using the shared disc to do extraction and rebuild of the disc under OS X.

So, in my case, drive letters were not an issue.

Maybe a slightly of topic, but does anyone have any experience with the Popcorn Hour in this type of of setup? E.g. playing BD or HDDVD from a shared network drive, iso or true disc.

Sharing HD DVD Drive

You missed, that you must create a drive letter for the network share. Use this drive letter to "play from folder".

James, I apprecite your help... when I create a mapped network drive, it gives me a message: "Z:\in not accessible. The parameter is incorrect." So, somehow the network sharing is not working for HD Discs while it is working for DVD discs...

Probably because the version of PowerDVD you're using doesn't allow playback from a folder would be my gut instinct guess, as James alluded to earlier in the thread. You're using PowerDVD, correct? What version?

Probably because the version of PowerDVD you're using doesn't allow playback from a folder would be my gut instinct guess, as James alluded to earlier in the thread. You're using PowerDVD, correct? What version?

I am getting this error message when I am trying to open the drive in Windows Explorer. When I share DVD I can open the disc and see the file structure. I am getting this error message for HD DVD discs.

That seems like a UDF issue...

Yes, it turned out to be it. I got the drivers from the site (link provided here in FAQ):
http://www.ultimate-dvdr.com/anydvd/4290-anydvd-hd-tutorial.html

THANKS A LOT! PROBLEM SOLVED.

PS.
1. Is UDF needed on all XP machines? Playback worked for on the same server machine without installing it, so I assumed I don't need UDF... But it turns out UDF is needed for Network File Sharing...

2. I guess it doesn't matter whether to run AnyDVD HD on the server of client PC...

The UDF driver is not going to harm anything. I'd personally install it on any XP machines you have.

Back