• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Bad quality Verbatim double layer blanks (DVD+R DL) in the market

Pelvis Popcan

Just bought a spindle of 50 blank Verbatim double layer blanks (DVD+R DL). I purchased them from Meritline.com.

Playback freezes and skips badly between 30-60 minutes on multiple players, making the DVD's unwatchable. So far I would say about half of the discs purchased result in these bad burns. VERY unusual for Verbatim, more common for Ritek.

This is the first time in years I have ever had a problem with Verbatim. I did burn at 4x; perhaps burning at 2.4x with these particular discs will produce better results, but I have always burned Verbatim +R DL discs at 4x in the past.

I had some older stock of Verbatim DVD+R DL discs remaining. Burning with them at 4x does not have this problem, ruling out a dying drive.

Here's as much data I can think of providing:

Drive: Liteon LH-20A1H
Burn Speed: 4x
Firmware: LL0D
Manufacturing Location: Singapore

Diskspeed Quality Scan:

verbatim01.jpg

verbatim02.jpg

Diskspeed Disk Info:

verbatim03.jpg

DVD Identifier:

verbatim04.jpg

perhaps burning at 2.4x with these particular discs will produce better results, but I have always burned Verbatim +R DL discs at 4x in the past.

I had some older stock of Verbatim DVD+R DL discs remaining. Burning with them at 4x does not have this problem, ruling out a dying drive.

Hmm, that's unfortunate. I've gone through tons of MIS and have never seen that before. Anyway, I recommend giving Verbatim a call and sending back the discs that failed. They typically will replace them and give you a few extras for your trouble.

I'm sorry, but can you interpret all this for us (me)? (graphs etc....)

WY

Well, the quality score is pretty horrible (57), and the PI errors and failures are cringeworthy.

If you want in-depth information, I suggest visiting the cdfreaks forum: click http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/ and asking questions. Also click http://club.cdfreaks.com/f76/interpreting-pi-po-error-scans-80545/

Unless others here wish to help you understand, I simply don't have the time to start writing tutorials on how to read quality scans, PI errors, etc. My apologies

But I'm sure some of the folks at Cdfreaks (in the forums I mentioned) will be happy to assist you.

Thanks WS. No problem.

I was just about to notify the group that my order of Verbatim +R DL's disk were MIS (I was so happy). Other V-DL's I've ordered in the past were MII (from the same vendor).

I'll look into it.

Thanks,

WY

I've never had any luck with any verbatim disc unless I burn them at 4X, any faster and coasters (about 1/5 bad anyway). I usually use the -r verbatims though, at 28 cents each they're hard to pass up. Sonys work the best for me and I know....MAXELL is a close second... I have the most trouble out of some generics with the white label on them, glad they're finally gone.

I've never had any luck with any verbatim disc unless I burn them at 4X,

These are +R DLs, not single layer discs.

any faster and coasters (about 1/5 bad anyway).

That's because your drive/laptop is having problems. Verbatim is one of the best brands of blank media.

Sonys work the best for me and I know

Merely average, and definitely inferior to verbatim on average

MAXELL is a close second

You should really watch out for Maxells that are not made in Japan; if they aren't made in Japan, you should avoid them

This is what you should be using:

CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro (these are Taiyo Yudens with a protective coating), Verbatim Datalife Plus, Taiyo Yuden
DVD±Rs = Maxell Broadcast Quality Series 8x (not regular junk Maxells you find everywhere), Verbatim 8x & 16x, Taiyo Yuden (not Valueline) 8x
DVD+R DLs = Verbatim made in Singapore (not India), MAM-A 8x

And generally avoid anything else

Last edited:
I've never had any luck with any verbatim disc unless I burn them at 4X, any faster and coasters (about 1/5 bad anyway). I usually use the -r verbatims though, at 28 cents each they're hard to pass up. Sonys work the best for me and I know....MAXELL is a close second... I have the most trouble out of some generics with the white label on them, glad they're finally gone.

\
Very untrue and as said by webslinger you must have a problem with your computer because I have done lots of testing on many different DL media and verb. is the only media that has any logevity and that doesn't have layer break problems

Back