• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Media Write Error

skippynorm

For the past three weeks I have been unable to make back up copies of any of my movies. I have been using AnyDVD with DVDXCopy without any issues at all. I have been getting a "bad disk" error during the write stage so I downloaded CloneDVD 2 9 1 6 and the newer version of AnyDVD 6 4 0 6 in an attempt to fix my problem. Reading and creating files goes without a hitch but as soon as CloneDVD asks me to insert a blank disk into drive D it is ejected with WriteDVD 10 11 W2 error code. I have actually loaded 14 different disks into my computer and every one is rejected immediately. My computer sees the disk as a blank DVD and I have slowed down my attempted write speed to 4x but nothing seems to help. What do you suggest? Thanks.

Follow the steps in the order they are listed:

1. Use Anydvd 6.4.0.7 beta: click http://sandbox.slysoft.com/beta/SetupAnyDVD6407.exe

You may need to reboot after installing if prompted to do so.

2. Click the red fox icon on your toolbar. Click "default". Click "ok".

3. Use Clonedvd 2.9.1.6 beta: click http://sandbox.slysoft.com/beta/SetupCloneDVD2916.exe

4. Remove packet writing software from your system, including Roxio's Directcd, Nero's Incd, Roxio/Sonic's DragtoDisc, Drive Letter Access, CyberLink InstantBurn, NTI's Filecd, etc.

Also remove Musicmatch, if you have it installed.

click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=15537 and read fully

5. Visit your burner's website, and update your burner's firmware if possible. If you don't know how to go about doing this, please read this post.

6. Are you using junk blank media? If you're not using Taiyo Yuden (not Valueline), Verbatim (preferably not made in India), or Maxell Broadcast Quality, then chances are the answer to this question is "yes". Stay far away from Memorex, Princo, Ritek, regular Maxell, Fuji, etc. that are not made in Japan.
For +R DL blank media use Verbatim (preferably made in Singapore) or MAM-A +R DL 8x only.

If you use junk blank media, then you should expect problems.

Bad quality blank media can vary in results from disc to disc, even within the same spindle. With good blank media you can play "find the bad blank" game. With inferior quality blank media you get to play "find the blank that works" game. And even when inferior blank media does work, you can play the "will my backups still play after 6 months (or even after two years)" game.

Use good quality blank media (Taiyo Yuden Premium, Verbatim, Maxell Plus, Maxell Broadcast Quality). Avoid Ritek, Memorex, Regular Maxell blank media that you can find in most stores that are not made in Japan, Fuji, TDK from Costco, and Princo. Also, on average, it's wise to avoid blank media that's made in China or Hong Kong.

If you're using double layer blank media, use Verbatim +R DL (preferably made in Singapore) or MAM-A 8x +R DL.

7. At what speed are you burning your blank media? As a general rule, it's not a bad idea to burn at half the rated speed of the blank media that you're using.

a) Ensure Anydvd is running.
b) Put the problematic original movie dvd in your burner. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
c) Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
d) Select "Create Logfile"
e) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
f) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
g) Go to your My Documents folder
h) You will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f)
i) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif
(in other words, look for the paperclip after clicking "quote" or when creating a new thread)
j) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
k) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
l) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
m) click "upload"
n) Close the window. When you submit reply, or submit a new thread, the .zip file will be attached automatically for us to take a look at

Look no further - you see the problem.

For the past three weeks I have been unable to make back up copies of any of my movies. I have been using AnyDVD with DVDXCopy without any issues at all. I have been getting a "bad disk" error during the write stage so I downloaded CloneDVD 2 9 1 6 and the newer version of AnyDVD 6 4 0 6 in an attempt to fix my problem. Reading and creating files goes without a hitch but as soon as CloneDVD asks me to insert a blank disk into drive D it is ejected with WriteDVD 10 11 W2 error code. I have actually loaded 14 different disks into my computer and every one is rejected immediately. My computer sees the disk as a blank DVD and I have slowed down my attempted write speed to 4x but nothing seems to help. What do you suggest? Thanks.

The fact that you've changed the vehicle to burn the VIDEO stuff should tell you it's not the messenger, it's the target. We do have occasions where cleaning the drive with a commercially available CD/DVD Lens Cleaning Disc will fix this issue.

By switching burner products you've pretty much eliminated that part of the process UNLESS you have some exotic mix of other media products running at the same time like Roxio, Music Match, etc. See this link here for a pretty good listing of oil-and-water situations that may affect what you're doing:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=15536

If AnyDVD is running cleanly the filter issue may not be relevant but make a check anyway. ;)

The quality of the hardware in this time leaves a lot to be desired :mad: and it is not uncommon for a burner to reach end-of-life relatively quickly.

Try the brush - often found at Radio Shack - or go the last mile and borrow a buddy's USB-attached burner for the final solution.

Yes, the issue could be hardware related. However, it's usually best to go through the motions to resolve potential software related issues first (in other words, go through the steps I outlined including updating your burner's firmware and posting the .zip file so we can check for driver issues). If those steps fail, then it's time to start looking at possible hardware issues (go through what Frank stated).

If AnyDVD is running cleanly the filter issue may not be relevant

Actually, it's still relevant, because many of those drivers can affect Clonedvd. In fact, Musicmatch Jukebox 10 was known to trigger that error message in the past with Clonedvd (and so has packet writing software): click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=1293

Last edited:
Fixed

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions. I took the software to another machine and immediately was able to burn backup copies of the movies that had failed during the past 3 weeks. For some reason it's always nature to assume that the software was in some kind of a conflict when it turns out that my year old burner is giving up the ghost, Makes sense actually, different lenses for burning and reading. Thats why I could read the info and play it back, I just couldn't burn it . Thanks again for your time. I really did follow all of the steps listed in your post before I discovered the hardware failure.

I'm glad you resolved your issue, and as it turns out, it appears that Frank was absolutely right. :clap:

Back