• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

User switching and AnyDVD (Vista)

TEK

Note sure if this is a bug or feature request... I would very mutch like to see it handled some way.

It seems as if AnyDVD does not handle user switching (in Vista).

This is the scenario that I often experience:
For some reason the computer has been restarted. The first user to log on is my wife. AnyDVD starts automatically when my wife has signed-on.

I'm have finnally waked up and hushes my wife away to make breakfast, house cleaning or something wify :agree:. However, the wife was in the middle of a great article titled "how to keep you man happy":clap:. So of course I do not want to interupt her :disagree:. Therefor I just switch user to my user :rock:.
Now, I'm planning to copy my newly bought "How to be a man" movie to my hard drive so I can have access to it from my media center PC.

No luck there, AnyDVD wont start, problably because it's already running at my wifes account.

We're a family with 3 active PC users and we uses account switching all the time. We'er about to backup our movie collection, and it is inpractical that only one user can access AnyDVD. Therefor this issue is annoying and it would be great if there was some way to fix it...

Why not just turn off the auto start and just set it running when you want it?

Why not just turn off the auto start and just set it running when you want it?

Because that would only solve the very limited scenario above.
A different scenario causing the same issue is that my wife ripped a dvd and then left the computer.
I'm coming to the computer and presses the swich user button (my wifes account has been locked as the windows timeout have kicked in) and signs on.

However, even if it was not auto started, AnyDVD is still running on my wifes user account.
So then I would have to switch back to her account, ensure that I know here password, sign on in as her, shut down AnyDVD and switch back to my account. (I want to use my account as I do not have access to my file area from her account).

I do want to have several user accounts. I do want to protect them with password even if this is my own family. Some resons for this:
- We have small children (3 and 5). I want the children to have their own account so they have restricted right. For example so that do not accidential delete all our family pictures.
- We do want to have password and auto lock of the system, again so that the children do not accidential delete our stuff.
- We do want to have personal e-mail accounts
- We have work stuff on the computer that should not be available to others, even my near family
and so on and so on...

Note sure if this is a bug or feature request... I would very mutch like to see it handled some way.

It seems as if AnyDVD does not handle user switching (in Vista).

This is the scenario that I often experience:
For some reason the computer has been restarted. The first user to log on is my wife. AnyDVD starts automatically when my wife has signed-on.

I'm have finnally waked up and hushes my wife away to make breakfast, house cleaning or something wify :agree:. However, the wife was in the middle of a great article titled "how to keep you man happy":clap:. So of course I do not want to interupt her :disagree:. Therefor I just switch user to my user :rock:.
Now, I'm planning to copy my newly bought "How to be a man" movie to my hard drive so I can have access to it from my media center PC.

No luck there, AnyDVD wont start, problably because it's already running at my wifes account.

We're a family with 3 active PC users and we uses account switching all the time. We'er about to backup our movie collection, and it is inpractical that only one user can access AnyDVD. Therefor this issue is annoying and it would be great if there was some way to fix it...
This is by design. AnyDVD can only run once on a machine. If it is already running on one account, *it will decrypt the discs for all accounts*.

So, what's that in the new changelog about running more than once?

I assume it's so you can rip from more than 1 drive at once and change the settings to match each drive

That's for running multiple instances of the AnyDVD Ripper function on multiple drives, NOT running multiple instances of AnyDVD itself. James is absolutely correct that once AnyDVD is loaded for any user account, it will work in all of them. You just won't have access to the GUI.

May I suggest a change in functionality so that the UI is available for all users?
I guess that would mean that the AnyDVD "core" would run as a shared executable, and the UI part would control it independent of the user that started it.
(The current solution seems to me as a small flaw in the application architecture)

The issue is that:
1) The copy dvd functionality is not available
2) Other programs, as My Movies, does not allow AnyDVD to be running when checking Disc ID (due to possible disc id corruptions)

However, if the actual dvd copy will work that's good news. But I cannot remember it that way. It might be that I have tried to start AnyDVD with my account and that it has failed, and as a consequence of that I have assumed that the DVD could not be copied... Not 100% sure.

Btw: Thanks for much nice input!

Regards, TEK

No need to login or know the other users password.

Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE
Start Task Manager
Goto processes tab
Click show proceesses from all users.
Click anydvd process and terminate.
Start anydvd yourself.

Thanks!
Good to know it's possible, but it's not a good solution as it is today.

The practical problem is that stuff like this just have to work for non-techis to be bothered with it. If I want the rest of the familiy to be able to do this as well it must "just work". Otherwise the result is that I'm the one that always have to do it, and I dont want that :disagree:

I have just been dragged out of bed because of this. And even I didn't remember to remove the checkbox for "Show processes from all users" without first going to this post to check it… Maybe that’s because I’m tiered and stupid, but that’s a different issue :bang:

Feature Bloat...

One of the things that I really like about this software is that it is extremely small, quick, and uber efficient.

To do what you ask seamlessly would probably require a significant re-write and add'l code which I doubt they'd want to do - just not enough users that need this feature.

I wonder though if they could just add some add'l logic on the GUI launch to see if the AnyDVD.exe process was loaded and belonged to a different user account. If so, and assuming the new user had the proper priviliges, it would prompt to kill the process and launch it under the new account. This would kill any background rips under the other user account, but I think it would give you 99% of what you really want, and the amount of development time would be minimal.

Knowing that these guys are probably hard at work at fine tuning the Java internals for BD+ and how to setup an environment that allows for effective BR region removal, etc., I doubt this is going to be high on their list (obviously, just my opinion though).

Assuming that, if you have a little BASIC or scripting background, you could write you own launcher for AnyDVD that would do this outside the program using a program called AutoIT (http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/). I've used this program extensively recently and it is EVERYTHING that Microsoft should have done with vbScript. I've used it extensively to work with AnyDVD (and other programs including DVD Shrink) to automate the process with great success.

One last note and I don't mean this in a jerk way. What you want, makes perfect sense, I just can't imagine sharing my PC. My computer is like my drinking glass/cup, I may let someone use it in an emergency, but when I'm thristy, I expect it to be available and all mine.

Freedom

Disc Id?

2) Other programs, as My Movies, does not allow AnyDVD to be running when checking Disc ID (due to possible disc id corruptions)

Regards, TEK

I thought this was actually fixed recently. Remember something about it in a changelog, but never had a chance to test it.

Freedom

I dont see why the GUI couldnt be available for all users without killing processes and starting it again, other programs do it.

I thought this was actually fixed recently. Remember something about it in a changelog, but never had a chance to test it.

Freedom

It has been improved, but as I understand it, it's still calculating wrong id's in some cases, so for example My Movies will require you to stop AnyDVD before allowing you to registrer a new disc with the given DiscID.

Back