• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

HD DVD/Blue-ray to H.264 stream to 360?

PittaMan

Maybey 10-15 mins of trolling around in here wasn't enough, but I can't find ANY info on ripping an HD DVD or Blu Ray disc to the PC in a straight up h.264 file playable in Quicktime or over the network on a 360/PS3.

I currently have a large HD DVD collection that I'd like to rip to my Windows Home Server and stream to my 360's disc free... I already have AnyDVD. I know I need to upgrade to HD, but right now its working for my regular DVD's with Handbrake.

Id gladly buy mroe form SlySoft if I knew for sure it will work with HD DVD in the way I am describing... Any help?

Bump!

All I really need is a good article on how to get this done. Can the 360 pick up the EVO file as an h.264 format and play it?

In short no. The xbox 360 can not play those files other then from a attached device such as a dvd player. It does not have the ability to play streaming HD as of yet.

Maybey 10-15 mins of trolling around in here wasn't enough, but I can't find ANY info on ripping an HD DVD or Blu Ray disc to the PC in a straight up h.264 file playable in Quicktime or over the network on a 360/PS3.

I currently have a large HD DVD collection that I'd like to rip to my Windows Home Server and stream to my 360's disc free... I already have AnyDVD. I know I need to upgrade to HD, but right now its working for my regular DVD's with Handbrake.

Id gladly buy mroe form SlySoft if I knew for sure it will work with HD DVD in the way I am describing... Any help?

The only way to stream your hi-def content to your 360 or PS3 is the following:

1. Demux the H.264 video into an MP4 container. Then, convert the DTS or AC3 audio to AAC. Now, the problem with this is the Xbox 360 only supports AAC Low Complexity: 2 channel audio only. However, the PS3 will support High Complexity: 5.1 audio.

2. Encode (or re-encode) the source H.264/AVC/VC-1 to WMV-HD and WMA Pro 10. You can use TMPGEnc Xpress 4, Windows Media Encoder 9, Microsoft Expression Encoder 2 Beta, WME Assistant, etc. But, you are waiting a while (read HOURS) on the encode process. If you do not have at least a quad core CPU, you will be waiting for up to 40+ hours, depending no the bitrate, quality and encoding type (read Single Pass CBR, 2-pass VBR, etc.)

I have written a tutorial on how to convert Blu-ray sources to WMV-HD using TMPGEnc. PM me if you want a copy of it.

In short no. The xbox 360 can not play those files other then from a attached device such as a dvd player. It does not have the ability to play streaming HD as of yet.

You can stream MP4 containers with H.264 video. The problem is the audio codec Microsoft supports (or the lack of support) with the Xbox 360. Low Complexity is *not* what the community wants. Especially for those that have surround sound systems. It can stream WMV-HD just fine. Check out the MSDN Blog by the Xboxteam on what codecs is supported with the latest dashboard firmware.

Wow I had looked for this for months, and everywhere I turned they said it was impossible. Then again I am not looking to backup my movie collection to folders on top of my ISO's, then have a seperate way to play for the xbox360. Ill just have to write my own way to play an iso on the 360. That will be one hell of a challenge.

Last edited:
Wow I had looked for this for months, and everywhere I turned they said it was impossible. Then again I am not looking to backup my movie collection to folders on top of my ISO's, then have a seperate way to play for the xbox360. Ill just have to write my own way to play an iso on the 360. That will be one hell of a challenge.

Today that is impossible, unless you hack the Xbox 360 (good luck BTW.) The Xbox 360 has no way of playing the content within an ISO. Plus, the Xbox 360 only supports specific codecs through UPnP (WMP11 Media Sharing, TVersity, etc.) and Media Center. For instance, the Xbox 360 does not support Xvid/Divx playback/streaming through Media Center, even though they added codec support in the Dashboard.

To say Microsoft's implementation of codec support on the Xbox 360 is anemic at best is an understatement.

And, it's not impossible to stream your HD content to your Xbox 360. It just takes some time to re-encode the source to WMV-HD for proper support and playback on the Xbox 360. The PS3 is a different story as it supports MP4 playback with H.264 4.1@HL and Multi-channel AAC (or AAC High Complexity), but not VC-1. VC-1 you would need to re-encode to H.264/x264 period for both the Xbox 360 or PS3. There are ways to "quickly" convert VC-1 to a supported ASF format (Microsoft's Windows Media Video container) for WMV-HD playback.

Last edited:
...There are ways to "quickly" convert VC-1 to a supported ASF format (Microsoft's Windows Media Video container) for WMV-HD playback.

Does that include converting the audio to WMA (quickly), as well?

If so, please elaborate.

Does that include converting the audio to WMA (quickly), as well?

If so, please elaborate.

Well, converting audio from DTS/AC3 to WMA is about a 30 minute process. I have done this quite a number of times. It's certainly a lot quicker to re-encode audio than video. :agree:

Well, converting audio from DTS/AC3 to WMA is about a 30 minute process. I have done this quite a number of times. It's certainly a lot quicker to re-encode audio than video. :agree:

That is quick enough for me. Please describe the process for both audio and video.

Thanks.

That is quick enough for me. Please describe the process for both audio and video.

Thanks.

There are few posts at Doom9.org on the subject of VC-1 to WMV. Here's one that I have bookmarked. As for DTS/AC3 to WMA, use Windows Media Encoder 9 and the Windows Media Audio 10 Professional codec.

Remember, pretty much 90% of Blu-ray titles are H.264/AVC video, not VC-1. Only HD-DVD was predominately VC-1.

you can possibly mux into EVO and then use the hddvd emulator from microsoft to play it.

I had read that thread where there are some successes and failures. I was hoping that you might mention the one that you used 'quite a number of times'.

Nonetheless, I see this list (from post 53):
1.Demux your Evo/M2ts to VC1 ES
2.vc1conv to remove Pullddown
3.VC12AVI to mux VC1 into AVI Container
4.Solveig ASF Muxer to mux VC1 AVI to ASF Container
5.Reencode your Audio to WMA. Use eac3to to get 6 mono waves from DD+/TrueHD/LPCM and use WMencoder
6.WMStreameditor to mux a conform WMV File

Is that what you are recommending? Or perhaps this (from post 78):
1) Demux the required video (vc1) and audio streams using eac3to. The audio can be demuxed directly to 6 mono wave files using the .wavs extension

eg eac3to FEATURE_1.EVO+FEATURE_2.EVO 1: video.vc1 4: audio.wavs

The eac3to thread contains a great deal of info regarding the use of this tool for those that are unfamiliar with it.

2) Remove pulldown flagging by running the vc1 file through vc1conv. Note that madshi may soon include this step within the eac3to tool (Thanks madshi)

3) Convert vc1 file to AVI using vc12avi. At present, this splits the output file into 2GB chunks, so...

4) Use VirtualDub to open the first AVI video.00.avi. Append video.01.avi and make sure the option is checked to automtically load successive files. VirtualDub mode may display an error saying that there is no suitable decompressor. Just click OK and ignore it as no decompressor is required for Direct Stream Copy. Save the AVI ensuring that Direct Stream Copy is ticked.

5) Load the large AVI file into Solveif ASFMuxer and output an asf file with asf file extension.

6) Encode the 6 mone wave files to WMA format. My tool of choice for this is Windows Media Encoder.

7) Mux the .asf and .wma files to WMV using Windows Stream Editor. Tip: Add both files into the left hand side window, fully expand both files by clicking the little + symbol next to each one, put a tick in the last box next to each file and then click the Add button between both windows. The output window will now contain the output or 'Audience' (?). Save a WMV file.

Is that it? Or maybe even this (from post 84):
I finally got VC-1 to play on a PS3! Here's what I had to do:

1. Demux a BluRay VC-1 stream (HD DVD doesn't work).
2. Mux the stream with VC12Avi
3. Mux in the audio with ffmpeg (You can skip this step)
4. Remux to WMV with Solveig ASF Muxer (May crash, but still works).

Play your video on the PS3! (The PS3 may say it's corrupted, but it still plays)

I tried remuxing to avi, m2ts, no luck. Appears to just support WMV.

-----------------

Since there are a variety of 'solutions' I was hoping for a bit more specificity.

Thanks.

@jbrisbin:

I did not state I have ever successfully mux VC-1 ES into WMV. If you came to that conclusion based on my posts, my appologies. I encode the source, regardless of source format (i.e. H.264/AVC or VC-1) to WMV-HD with TMGPenc and Windows Media Encoder 9.

The problem has always been Solveig ASF Muxer does not work consistently, and especially on Windows Vista.

Plus, I do not like the fact that the source video is 15-20 GB in size. I would rather compress it into another video format (i.e. WVC-1/WMV-HD.) I cannot tell the difference between the original source and my WMV-HD encodes. Many others have had the exact same success as I have with encoding directly to WMV-HD from the original source.

Last edited:
I understand now. Sorry that I misconstrued the scope of your activity.

Would you be willing to describe the audio re-encoding process you use? I assume that is part of your general practice.

Thanks

I understand now. Sorry that I misconstrued the scope of your activity.

Would you be willing to describe the audio re-encoding process you use? I assume that is part of your general practice.

Thanks

NP. First, you need to make sure you have the available codecs and filters installed:

* AC3filter to decode DTS/AC3 and the DTS/DD core audio in DTS-HD and DD TrueHD audio streams. Make sure that you change the default output of AC3Filter to 3/2+SW audio, or AC3filter will decode the audio into 2-channel by default.
* CoreCodec's CoreAVC codec for AVC/H.264/x264 playback OR the latest ffdshow-tryouts
* Haali Media Splitter, which will be able to provide the ability to open M2TS files

Open Windows Media Encoder 9, select the M2TS file as the source, and change the output to WMA 10 Pro at the bitrate you want to encode. I usually choose 1-pass CBR at 44kHz, 768Kbps, 24-bit, and 5.1. Select your output, and sit back and relax.

Then, you need to MUX the WMA audio into a new ASF (.WMV container) with the video stream (Microsoft calls them audiences, not streams BTW.) This is done with Windows Media Encoder Stream Editor.

Back