• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Ripping dual discs with AnyDVD HD is not as easy as it should be

TEK

Hi

In 6.4.0.4 you got support for AnyDVD HD to rip several discs at the same time. Greate!

However, I'm currently ripping Pirates Of the Caibbean 2, 2 disk edition (DVD).
And the fact is that these two discs actually have the same volume label, PIRATES_OF_THE_CARIBBEAN_2
Meaning that to be able to rip it I have to put on of them into a separate subfolder, rip it and then move it again.

Partly this issue also goes when ripping just one DVD. My personal preference when ripping discs is to name the folder "Pirates Of The Caribbean [Disc 1]" and "Pirates Of The Caribbean [Disc 2]"
However, as AnyDVD HD automatically attaches the volume label the work process is to rip the dvd and then rename the folder.

- I would suggest that another input box is added to the UI (view attached jpg).
- When you open the UI the target folder is left to what it was the last time you started ripping a Disc (not when finished, as you may start ripping two disks at almost the same time)
- The new text box is automatically filled in with the volume labe
- If that folder already exists, a new folder name is generated. In this example that might have been PIRATES_OF_THE_CARIBBEAN_2 (2)
- If the user wants to he may change the content of any of the fields, also clear the new text box (meaning no subfolder would be used)

Below the two text boxes is a read only field that shows the actual full path where the disc will be copied.

Regards, TEK

Attachments

• AnyDVD-suggestion.jpg
    AnyDVD-suggestion.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 37
Hi

In 6.4.0.4 you got support for AnyDVD HD to rip several discs at the same time. Greate!

However, I'm currently ripping Pirates Of the Caibbean 2, 2 disk edition (DVD).
And the fact is that these two discs actually have the same volume label, PIRATES_OF_THE_CARIBBEAN_2
Meaning that to be able to rip it I have to put on of them into a separate subfolder, rip it and then move it again.

Partly this issue also goes when ripping just one DVD. My personal preference when ripping discs is to name the folder "Pirates Of The Caribbean [Disc 1]" and "Pirates Of The Caribbean [Disc 2]"
However, as AnyDVD HD automatically attaches the volume label the work process is to rip the dvd and then rename the folder.

- I would suggest that another input box is added to the UI (view attached jpg).
- When you open the UI the target folder is left to what it was the last time you started ripping a Disc (not when finished, as you may start ripping two disks at almost the same time)
- The new text box is automatically filled in with the volume labe
- If that folder already exists, a new folder name is generated. In this example that might have been PIRATES_OF_THE_CARIBBEAN_2 (2)
- If the user wants to he may change the content of any of the fields, also clear the new text box (meaning no subfolder would be used)

Below the two text boxes is a read only field that shows the actual full path where the disc will be copied.

Regards, TEK

Nice idea, I like it!

Remember TEK, that unless you are ripping 2 disks to two different PHYSICAL drives, it takes about as long as one at a time and is very hard on the HD. Using 2 partitions on the same drive is even worse.

-W

Remember TEK, that unless you are ripping 2 disks to two different PHYSICAL drives, it takes about as long as one at a time and is very hard on the HD. Using 2 partitions on the same drive is even worse.

-W
Not necessarily. The reading speed of optical drives is much slower than the writing speed of modern harddisks, so chances are that it might be faster. Having the two optical drives on the same IDE cable will slow things down, of course.

Even if it's faster, the process of interleaving the concurrent rip of 2 DVD's puts a lot of extra wear and tear on the drive mechanics. If you're ripping to 2 different partitions on the same drive, it's even more mechanical arm movement to achieve this.
A friend and I both learned this the hard way.

-W

it's even more mechanical arm movement to achieve this.
i'm sure hard drives are built to cope with such stresses.
most hard disks spin CONTINOUSLY-just think of the strain that is putting on the motor in your hard drive,mr canino:D

i did read on a hard drive tech page elsewhere on t'internet,that the hard drive arm mechanism can move from edge to edge of the disk 50 times a second.whilst also reading and writing simultaneously.
they where designed to do such things.

Yes, it's not about the spin, it's about the movement of the stepper arm that moves the heads. And while sure, they CAN move that fast, that does not mean that if they are asked to move that fast on a prolonged basis that it wont shorten drive life. Like I said, prolonged duel ripping (and cross-partion transcoding) shortened the life of 2 drives I know of for sure.

Think of it like your car engine. Sure it CAN run just fine at 4800 RPM. It's built to cope with such stresses. But we refrain from just leaving the car in 1st gear and running it at 4800 all day - just because it can. Or the guy that runs his outboard WOT at the 5500 RPM limit as opposed to cruising the boat at 4200 rpm. One of these guys WILL have a shorter powerhead life.

If you think about normal file transfers, it's done consecutively, not concurrently. We could debate the degree of the abuse all day. But the statement that ripping 2 DVD's at the same time to one drive causes faster wear and tear is pretty much undisputable - excepting in degree of said wear and tear. Same with the statement that: "Ripping 2 DVD's to 2 different partitions on the same physical drive is the worst continual prolonged stress you can put on the drive arm mechanism." The only wiggle room to that statement is about the degree. No matter how many millions of arm cycles the drives of today can do (and they've gotten amazing), those cycles are still a quantifiable finite resource, as opposed to a magical unlimited resource.

I've been building my own PC's since the mid-80's, and seen a whole lot of drives come and go. I can assure you that there is a relationship between "extreme" read/write cycling and MTBF shortening. I just can't quantify the degree. But I can state that if you're ripping duel DVD's (or even transcodong from a HD file to an HD file), that a duel HD system is the way to go for the happiest drives.

-W

Last edited:
Back