• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

WinDVD 9 verus PDVD 3319a/3370a

hlkc

Based on latest 6.4.0.5 AnyDVD HD supports WinDVD 9 now.

Anyone use WinDVD 9 and PowerDVD 3319a or 3370a, can you share your experience and/or some pro and con with us?

Thanks.

Anyone use WinDVD 9 and PowerDVD 3319a or 3370a, can you share your experience and/or some pro and con with us?

Thanks.

i find win dvd will work from disk now but it will not work from iso;s mounted with daemon tools if the movie is not remuxed which most of mine are anyway but it worked before if the movies were remuxed
as for all three players i still like pw dvd but it is close

Does Windvd 9 play files from HDD?

I downloaded the trial and it works for DVD from HDD but since my is trial I don't know how it works with BD from ISO, BD disk and/or HDD. That's why I am very interested to know...

if its in the ISO format

Good to hear that so based on your answer, I guess not from HDD but what about the actual BD disk from the drive. Can I safely assume it will able to play a BD disk from a BD drive? Please advice.

Good to hear that so based on your answer, I guess not from HDD but what about the actual BD disk from the drive. Can I safely assume it will able to play a BD disk from a BD drive? Please advice.

it seems to play all actual disks but the BD+ disks unless they are ripped first, but it is playing everything i tried from HDD via remuxed iso's mounted with daemon tools including BD+ rips

Thanks.

IMHO WinDVD 9 sucks big time for BD. I don't know why, but it stutters like hell (two machines with Nvidia 8800GT under XP and MCE2005) which I consider a showstopper. Not a CPU problem. Same system, HD DVDs play smooth. Doesn't work with ReClock.
PowerDVD 3319a and 3370a play fine without problems on both systems.

I also have a 8800GT but Vista 32. WinDVD 9 has the most usable first version of a HD software player ever. The first versions of PDVD, Nero and TMT all were crap, but WinDVD 9 plays 99% of my discs flawlessly (3 out of 300 give me problems). No stuttering or whatsoever, except some small stability issues.

You people just have to realize that these applications are made for Vista first cause XP is simply dated regarding technology. It's much harder to implement new technology in old software for example the HDCP chain, which is supported natively by Vista, but not XP. So I do not blame any software company if they focus on Vista. I would do the same. Of course at some point, they should not forget the many XP users, but Vista should always have higher priority.

I'm running WinDVD 9 Plus Blu-Ray right now on Vista x64 and it works great in combination with AnyDVD HD 6.4.0.5! Without AnyDVD HD it refused to play any Blu-Ray disk.

Thanks SlySoft!

Thank you all the comments. My 3 years old HTPC is using XP OS and ever since I started to play BD, mid last year, I never able to play ISO and physical BD disk using PDVD or TMT :bang: ...only able to play BD movies from HDD after I copy to HDD. As BD+ and Profile 1.1 are here, I like to follow the most common/recommend procedures - back up BD without AnyDVD HD present, Imagburn ISO then mount the ISO with AnyDVD HD and use PDVD, TMT or WinDVD 9 to play. It looks like instead of using my 3 years old XP boot disk to do a clean install now, I should just start my new HTPC box with Vista Ultimate not XP anymore. Agree :agree: or not agree :disagree: ?

You're going to get a *LOT* of opinions on that very loaded question. James and Webslinger are going to adamantly be against using Vista. I use it myself, but, I don't always recommend that others do so. I'm a sucker when it comes to pain. :D My experience with Vista on my HTPC has been mostly positive. Other people see absolutely no reason to leave XP; especially on an HTPC. The thing with Vista is that it comes down to drivers as to how well it's going to work or not. And the state of drivers in Vista, to put it very bluntly, SUCKS. If you get hardware that you KNOW has good Vista support, then Vista will be an insanely stable foundation upon which to build on. If you have drivers that quite frankly aren't good, then stability is going to suffer and you'll be tracking down problems and not knowing which way is up. If you do decide to go Vista, there are plenty of us with experience that can help, but, there are just as many that are willing to let your ship sink. :D

You're going to get a *LOT* of opinions on that very loaded question. James and Webslinger are going to adamantly be against using Vista. I use it myself, but, I don't always recommend that others do so. I'm a sucker when it comes to pain. :D My experience with Vista on my HTPC has been mostly positive. Other people see absolutely no reason to leave XP; especially on an HTPC. The thing with Vista is that it comes down to drivers as to how well it's going to work or not. And the state of drivers in Vista, to put it very bluntly, SUCKS. If you get hardware that you KNOW has good Vista support, then Vista will be an insanely stable foundation upon which to build on. If you have drivers that quite frankly aren't good, then stability is going to suffer and you'll be tracking down problems and not knowing which way is up. If you do decide to go Vista, there are plenty of us with experience that can help, but, there are just as many that are willing to let your ship sink. :D

My father taught me something when I was young, "Son, when the thing is working, don't touch the dial." I always do that. If BD+ and profile 1.1 not coming, I will never walked away XP since it gave me trouble free HTPC experience so far, except, as you know, I can't do ISO and any BD disk at all no matter what I tried so far :bang: I can able to play all my backup, 40+, BD movies from HDD so far. So my last option for me now is a clean install, if I want to do the ISO route you recommended. The only reason I consider Vista is after few users in this thread recommend Vista over XP.

In my case, I am thinking to give XP one more try in this box since I know the XP drivers and set up well. I have ATI 2600 HD Pro, Intel 965 MB and P4 today. I hope I will success this time and keep using this set up for XP as I am waiting DDR3 RAM price drop. I am planning to put together my next HTPC with ASUS Maximus Extreme with Quard2Duo and 8800GTS 512 GC with Vista Ultimate soon :agree:

Last edited:
James and Webslinger are going to adamantly be against using Vista.

Now wait a sec . . . If you want to make use of your Directx 10 or 10.1 graphic cards (and have a 64bit cpu), then I do recommend using Vista 64bit edition--but only for DirectX 10 gaming. :)

Otherwise, I suspect I pretty much agree with what James says. I especially don't have much use for the extra DRM in Vista (and I can't stand UAC).

Last edited:
My father taught me something when I was young, "Son, when the thing is working, don't touch the dial."

Usually good advice. In this case, it ain't quite working as you and I know.

In my case, I am thinking to give XP one more try in this box since I know the XP drivers and set up well. I have ATI 2600 HD Pro, Intel 965 MB and P4 today. I hope I will success this time and keep using this set up for XP as I am waiting DDR3 RAM price drop. I am planning to put together my next HTPC with ASUS Maximus Extreme with Quard2Duo and 8800GTS 512 GC with Vista Ultimate soon :agree:

If you're comfortable with XP, then stick with it for now. Vista's not going to give you anything you can't do in XP on an HTPC. Also, I'd start looking at the 9xxx series of nVidia cards at this point. ;)

Now wait a sec . . . If you want to make use of your Directx 10 or 10.1 graphic cards (and have a 64bit cpu), then I do recommend using Vista 64bit edition--but only for DirectX 10 gaming. :)

Otherwise, I suspect I pretty much agree with what James says. I especially don't have much use for the extra DRM in Vista (and I can't stand UAC).

Yes, gaming notwithstanding, your opinion on Vista has been noted. ;) And since we're talking HTPC not gaming rig, I had a feeling both you and James would say stick with XP. And I'm not disagreeing with that sentiment. As I said, I'm rather loathe to recommend Vista to most people even though I use it myself. For an HTPC, there are very few benefits (and those are only MO to begin with) and most people will see absolutely no gain at all.

Yes, gaming notwithstanding, your opinion on Vista has been noted. ;) And since we're talking HTPC not gaming rig, I had a feeling both you and James would say stick with XP.
Absolutely. Especially if you are watching PAL DVDs. No ReClock, no fun.

Absolutely. Especially if you are watching PAL DVDs. No ReClock, no fun.

If only a company had the resources to remedy that problem. :D LOL! But yes, I really don't believe Vista brings anything useful to the table when talking about an HTPC. This is why I don't usually recommend it to most people.

not gaming rig

Them's fightin' words!!! :D

Yeah, I agree with James. I would say stick with XP (unless you want to play games that support DirectX 10).

In June, the rumour is ATI is going to be releasing its HD 4000 series of cards. About that same time I will stick Vista 64bit Ultimate on a raid 1 config in my new system that I am slowly building. And I will have Windows XP pro on another hard drive(s). I will only be using Vista for games that support DirectX 10. This is fairly similar in concept to what I did to my girlfriend's rig (but she likes Vista for some reason; I guess she likes Aero, but whatever . . .).

Even though DirectX 10.1 is mostly being sneered at, I was a bit shocked to see the 9800X2 still not support 10.1. ATI's 3870x2 does support 10.1 The argument is that by the time games support 10.1, we'll need to upgrade our video cards anyway.

Last edited:
Back