• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

What do you do: Keep on Hard Drive or Burn

Jako

When burning your own DVDs do you like to keep the folder produced by AnyDVD on your hard drive or do you burn right to a new and fresh DVD?

I've been filling up my hard drives pretty quick and I'm trying to figure out which would be better, buying more hard drives or more DVD+R DL media.

I like having the files on my HD so I can then play them right from something like CyberLink or burn original copies down the road. Then again having it in physical media right away does take up less HD space...

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
You did not in any way whatsoever have to mention "burn DVDs from a friend" in order to start the discussion that you wanted to start, and now that you have mentioned it, your thread will probably get locked.

You did not in any way whatsoever have to mention "burn DVDs from a friend" in order to start the discussion that you wanted to start, and now that you have mentioned it, your thread will probably get locked.

When you burn a DVD that you own, why then would you copy it to a hard drive and or burn another copy of it. The logics behind that make so sense.

Using a friends DVD as an example that you may not at the time own makes the situation a little clearer.

So yes, I feel I did have to mention that, thanks for your input

Last edited:
Err Aha

If I am having friends over and we are going to do some serious watching of a series of films ie. St Trinians, Carry on films, Clint Eastwood fest, etc. I burn to the Hard Drive my origionals for easy access prior to the weekend so there is less chance of damage from multiple handlings with multiple people

When you burn a DVD that you own, why then would you copy it to a hard drive and or burn another copy of it. The logics behind that make so sense.

Using a friends DVD as an example that you may not at the time own makes the situation a little clearer.

So yes, I feel I did have to mention that, thanks for your input

Another user who feels it's "common sense" to openly and publically advocate breaking the law on the vendor's website. :rolleyes:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=51369&postcount=3

"Violate Slysoft's community standards"
Futher to to this : -

"There has been (or at least appears to be) a rise in threads/posts which relate to 'unsavoury' going ons.
This has caused some debate amongst the Moderators here.
1st Let’s be clear about what goes & what does not.
As most are aware, legally, the situation varies slightly around the world.
Morally it doesn't.
The idea behind AnyDVD is that the OWNER of a LEGALLY BOUGHT DVD has the right to PROTECT HIS OR HER PROPERTY*. This includes the BACKING UP of said PROPERTY.
Using or promoting the use of ILLEGAL DOWNLOAD SITES and the COPYING of RENTED DVD's are NOT SUPPORTED.
OWNER's RIGHTs ARE.
This topic along with that of CRACKS is NOT TO BE TOLERATED!
Posting on the above topics, In the future, will be treated with much more vigour.
As it seems to be not only what the VAST MAJORITY of MEMBERS want.
But MODERATORs too.

In law the owner of said property has the right to protect their goods.
Unfortunately most laws relating to the backing up of software etc, along with moves made by the 'manufaturer's, make the reality of this technically &/or legally impossible.
Slysoft with its DISCLAIMER regarding the ILLEGAL COPYING of discs (i.e. Illegal sources &/or rented). Should make it clear that : _
Slysoft PRODUCTS are for MORALLY providing a MEANs for which the OWNERS of such PROPERTY can meet their requirements in safeguarding THEIR PROPERTY.

Look, its not necessary to post where you got the movie or what you intend to do with it. If you are having a problem, post it, your personal business is not needed. If you own the DVD make a backup or watch it from your hdd. Sometime information is pertainent, in this case it is not.
Posted by Jako
Let's say you burn some DVDs from a friend (legalities aside),
The part I have bolded was not necessary information. Please keep this in mind when posting. Your question would have been the same without this extra information.

Another user who feels it's "common sense" to openly and publically advocate breaking the law on the vendor's website. :rolleyes:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=51369&postcount=3
When did I say I was doing this, I above, "let's say you burn some CDs from a friend."

Did I ever mention I did that? Nope, not at all. Maybe you should read a bit better.

Stop putting words into my mouth that I didn't say. How about you contribute to the thread now that I edited it?

Look, its not necessary to post where you got the movie or what you intend to do with it. If you are having a problem, post it, your personal business is not needed. If you own the DVD make a backup or watch it from your hdd. Sometime information is pertainent, in this case it is not.
The part I have bolded was not necessary information. Please keep this in mind when posting. Your question would have been the same without this extra information.

Have since edited my initial post.

At the price per gbs on a 1Tb hdd I would most likely buy a large hdd and keep them all on there. Then if I decided to make a compilation, I could do it easily.

At the price per gbs on a 1Tb hdd I would most likely buy a large hdd and keep them all on there. Then if I decided to make a compilation, I could do it easily.
I thought about this, but what if your 1tb drive fails. All those hours of ripping, right down the toilet

I thought about this, but what if your 1tb drive fails. All those hours of ripping, right down the toilet

It really doesn't take that long to rip a DVD to a HDD and in the event the HDD does actually die it really shouldn't be a problem because a person should just be able to re-rip their DVDs.

if you can afford it,buy 2 of these drives so you have 2 identical back ups.
i have 2x400GB hard drives with all my digital media on them (movies,music,photo's,e-mails etc....).
one i use day to day,the other i use only when i update both drives.
if the one i use day to day suddenly fails,i can use the back up on the practically unused drive (i would buy another 400GB hd though and copy everything over to it).

i think that makes sense:D

It really doesn't take that long to rip a DVD to a HDD and in the event the HDD does actually die it really shouldn't be a problem because a person should just be able to re-rip their DVDs.

If you're talking about ~ 7GB per movie and a 1TB drive containing...let's see, around 140 movies give or take. I'd say that will take a pretty long time considering you have to sit at your computer and re put in a movie every so often.

140 movies with around 20 minutes to rip is 46 hours. If you have that much time to do something again, I respect that, but I don't have that much time to devote to something that should've been done right the first time.

I guess using a RAID solution would work, but it's pricey

Last edited:
Back