• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Please enable "CROP" to eliminate top and botton black bars!

Marcelo

Hello,

I like Clone DVD Mobile, based on the great open source project Mencoder.

But i don't understand why don't appear CROP function in the program, it's a essential to eliminate top and botton black bars!

Please tell me: the next version will include crop function?

Thanks in advance,
Marcelo.-

Last edited:
i think the op means how do you remove the borders without losing any of the picture - something that the two zooms don't do.

its to reduce the file size a bit more. most dvd players (hardware or software) will be able to add the borders back to preserve the correct aspect ratio.

mencoder does have some cool options to do this - cropdetect (figures out where the black bars are) and rectange (for previewing the cropped area).

i cant see a 'cropping tool' being used in clonedvdmobile any time soon.
this is the first time i've seen it mentioned here.
SlySoft will need many people requesting this feature if it is to be considered worth implementing in a future release.
anthing that will keep files sizes down is a good thing i agree.

what are SlySoft's thoughts on this?..................

Last edited:
can any Slysoft member tell me if the cropping tool is planned to be incorporated in any future CDVDM version?

Others DVDRippers have this feature (dvdfab, dvdpean,#1DVDRipper, Auto Gordian Knot, and a lot of others)

This feature represent a difficult to be performed or the slysoft developers think that this feature isn't important ?

Mencoder have a auto crop feature, i would like to see that feture in CDVDM

Regards,
Marcelo.-

Last edited:
Well, I for one would really appreciate a cropping feature. If you haven't used it on any other dvd-to-divx programs, it might be hard to imagine it as useful, but it really saves a lot of space by eliminating parts of the frame with no picture information that otherwise eat up bits (e.g., the black bars around), and to provide an aspect ratio that matches the ratio that a software player prefers.

Its hard to describe, but when I play a widescreen film (Converted to Divx w/clonedvd mobile using zoom player on media pc)) I have black bars on all sides of the picture (left and right, top and bottom). I have to play with the zoom features to play correctly. When cropping with AutoGK, this isn't an issue.

I get the feeling that divx support was a bit of a side thought, and their core focus is on portable players, but as evidenced by this forum many of us bought this product to convert dvd's to a smaller format to keep on our media pc's.

Or, in other words, cropping would be nice. :agree:

Well, I for one would really appreciate a cropping feature.

Or, in other words, cropping would be nice. :agree:
Me too - right now I have to do an extra conversion through Avidemux if I want to crop the letterbox bars and rescale the picture to fill my 480x272 screen. The zoom feature in CloneDVDMobile is not the same because it just rescales and loses part of the picture (pan and scan).

Almost every other tool based on Mencoder uses its autocrop feature - why can't CloneDVDMobile? :doh:

Crop needed -- Please Slysoft

My Pioneer HDTV doesn't support a Zoom feature, and neither does the Xbox 360 that I'm using to play the files from my PC. I've resorted to a two step process to get the full wide-screen of movies . CloneDVD Mobile to create a VOB Passthrough file of what I want to view, and then Dr. DivX to actually encode the movie to DivX with manual or automatic cropping enabled.

I tried CloneDVD Movile encoding DivX, then Dr. DivX to re-encode with cropping to DivX, but the movie quality degraded through the double encoding process.

It sure would be nice to have cropping options added. Clone DVD Mobile is so easy to use and produces good quality DivX -- I'd love to actually be able to use it.

you could use cdvd mobile to do the encode, then pass it through mencoder on the command line to do the cropping.

Thanks. I haven't used the command line interface yet. What I was reading on line sounded kind of cumbersome -- use autocrop while playing the video to get the dimensions, then manually feed those to the crop command. Does that sum it up or can you do something more scriptable by piping the dimensions directly to the crop?

I'm all in favour of the crop function, freeware tool called AutoGK crops the videos (I like to make VOBs using CDVDM and then crop) and it'll be much appreciated :agree:

AutoCrop

Just want to put in my two cents...an AutoCrop feature would be wonderful. At first I thought the resolution might be doing that, but it is not. The scaling losing part of the picture. AutoCrop would be very beneficial! Please add it in when you can.

I ran a quick test using CD-M and Handbrake (Handbrake offers an autocrop feature) to see if cropping made a difference to the size of the resultant AVI.

Both were run over a chapter of the Solaris DVD, using Xvid/MP3 at a bitrate of 710 kbps.

Results:

Handbrake: 13,467 KB - dimensions 720x304 (ie: 100 vertical pixels of black bars removed).
CD-M: 13,859 KB - dimensions 720x404.

Not much of a difference except for the dimensions :( Is it worth it?

I ran a quick test using CD-M and Handbrake (Handbrake offers an autocrop feature) to see if cropping made a difference to the size of the resultant AVI.

Both were run over a chapter of the Solaris DVD, using Xvid/MP3 at a bitrate of 710 kbps.

Results:

Handbrake: 13,467 KB - dimensions 720x304 (ie: 100 vertical pixels of black bars removed).
CD-M: 13,859 KB - dimensions 720x404.

Not much of a difference except for the dimensions :( Is it worth it?
Sorry, but what difference would you expect if you use the same bitrate? ;)
Although cropping the black bars wouldn't save very much space, as there is practically no information in them, the question is: why leave them? There is absolutely no reason, when encoding with divx for example since it doesn't need a certain aspect ratio.

Jango, you're absolutely right - by using the same bitrate of course I'll get a similar file size irespective of the dimensions. Doh! - my bad :(

The point I was trying to make was that if it wont save much space by cropping the black bars why complicate the program code and the interface by adding an option to remove them?

If leaving them in (ie: doing nothing) is simpler, more efficient (from a user interface point-of-view) and produces negligble difference in file size why put effort into removing them when it could be better spent on other more important options?

The point I was trying to make was that if it wont save much space by cropping the black bars why complicate the program code and the interface by adding an option to remove them?

If leaving them in (ie: doing nothing) is simpler, more efficient (from a user interface point-of-view) and produces negligble difference in file size why put effort into removing them when it could be better spent on other more important options?
I suppose it also depends on if you have a fullscreen or a widescreen media player. It can make a difference on non-anamorphic titles (e.g. Enemy of the State is actually a widescreen 2.35:1 movie in a 4:3 dvd format).

The main point is that this is not rocket science - it is a standard Mencoder feature, and it is puzzling why it is left out if it is a feature that people want.

Letterbox zoom works on this kind of title but if you don't have a widescreen display that is more problematic (my 360x272 profile can be zoomed to 480x272 removing most of the letterboxing and all of the pillarboxing, which is what I want for my Samsung YP-P2).

Last edited:
Thanks. I haven't used the command line interface yet. What I was reading on line sounded kind of cumbersome -- use autocrop while playing the video to get the dimensions, then manually feed those to the crop command. Does that sum it up or can you do something more scriptable by piping the dimensions directly to the crop?
I sent you a PM replying to yours about how to use AviDemux autocrop on the CloneDvdMobile output. The quality is excellent.

Hello profcolli,

Please can you tell me how to use autocrop with Avidemux after rip with CDVDM??

Thanks in advance,
Marcelo.-

Hello profcolli,

Please can you tell me how to use autocrop with Avidemux after rip with CDVDM??

Thanks in advance,
Marcelo.-
AviDemux is pretty simple and comes with all kinds of neat codecs and filters (http://www.avidemux.org - I'm using version 2.4 GTK+). To remove black bars just open the CloneDvdMobile output file in AviDemux, click on the little arrow on the box that says copy under Video and choose your output format. If you are keeping it in Divx choose MPEG-4 ASP (Xvid4) and then choose "Filters" and then double-click on Crop - this will open a separate Crop Settings window. Choose Autocrop and OK - voila! (Make sure that you are on a frame of the movie using the slider bar at the top of the preview in this window - if you Autocrop on the black screen sometimes found at the beginning then everything is cropped!)

Click Close in the Video Filter Manager, then Save in the main window (you have to include the file name AND extension .avi for the output) and it will now be minus the black bars.

To do more sophisticated processing they have a help file and user guide online.

Hope this helps.

Back